Updating existing survey responses with file upload | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi,

I have a survey with responses already updated. I have added a custom data field in the data table.

I would like to download the responses, add value in the newly added custom data field and import them back. Below are my queries:

1. What happens to the survey metadata like Recorded date, Response ID, status ? Can I upload the exported values back to system so that no new rows are inserted ?
  2. If 1 is not possible, what is the work around ?

I would like to download the responses, add value in the newly added custom data field and import them back. Below are my queries:

1. What happens to the survey metadata like Recorded date, Response ID, status ? Can I upload the exported values back to system so that no new rows are inserted ?
  2. If 1 is not possible, what is the work around ?

Hi @Neha Tank,
1. Each imported response is a new response in your survey, it does not replace pre-existing responses. If you upload the same data you exported back into your survey, you will have duplicated responses with new “Response ID” and “Recorded date” of the time you uploaded. If you want, you can still use “End Date” as replacement for Recorded date.
2. If you want to keep the old responses, you can update them like the thread about translating comment I did answered to you.

Thanks. For point 2, the turnaround time for work on webservice will take some time, so we were trying to explore a temporary solution until the permanent fix is done. Hypothetically, if I delete all responses. I upload data back with Recorded date mapped to End Date and have new responseID. What could the potential problems be ?

Thanks. For point 2, the turnaround time for work on webservice will take some time, so we were trying to explore a temporary solution until the permanent fix is done. Hypothetically, if I delete all responses. I upload data back with Recorded date mapped to End Date and have new responseID. What could the potential problems be ?

I did it before, there something you should notice:
1. The datetime format might be tricky, especially if you use excel to edit that csv/tsv file.

2.For clarification, you don’t have to map Recorded date to End date. Recorded date will be auto assigned as the time you re-import the data. However, if you want to know when that record was originally created, use End date because it won’t be auto assigned.
3. Check your license with account manager or someone if your imported response will get charged toward your license or not (I’m not sure about this cuz I’m partner and I don’t get charge on my sandbox for demo). If it does, I suggest:
- Use API to update response

​​​​​​​-Editing Data in bulk if you can (www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/data-and-analysis-module/data/response-editing/#EditingMultipleResponses)

​​​​​​​-Use Imported Data Project 

Hi,

When we upload responses, does the multiple choice question accept numeric values or choice text. If it is numeric values, do we need to do mapping values in upload dialog box ?

Thanks.

Regards,

Neha Tank

@Neha Tank No matter what type of answer, I always map and check each question individually. I don’t trust the auto-mapping to be honest.

Leave a Reply