Uploading data into manual custom fields in Survey | XM Community
Skip to main content

Dear Experts,

I am a beginner in Qualtrics.

I have a survey with responses already recorded. There are 3 open text fields that might be in German or English language. Since Qualtrics uses Google translate to translate languages (which is not allowed as per our org. policy), we need to manually create 3 custom fields to store the translated language text (In English). Below are my questions:

1. How can I upload the translated data in the respective newly created data fields without impacting the Recorded date ? Is it even possible ? I am assuming it would append a new record.(I have not tried it out yet).
  2. Is there any other round about solution to have a formula based custom field where I can get the translated result from Deepl.com and have it populated in the new field ? 

You can keep start and end date as you like but not recorded date. Recorded date will automatically be register when the record is being captured/imported into Qualtrics database.
Beware of the date-time format, it might be tricky.

Thanks for the response. Does that mean if I upload a new row with translated values with same start and end date as the one already in response, it would still create a new row right ? As the recorded date and ID would be different ? I want to have only one record.

I came across how to use deepl API which I feel can be used in web service element in survey and store it in Embedded data. Since I am not comfortable with webservice, I wanted help if any one can tell me how to do it. Below is the API paramenters :

https://www.deepl.com/docs-api/translate-text

@Neha Tank  Oh, in case you have that API I would recommend export the data out.
Create embedded field for translated comment.

Then with each response
Use your deepl API for translation
Then use this API to update the data back into the exact response in Qualtrics: api.qualtrics.com/daed82306b1ea-update-response
A simple csv handle code with API options should do the job.

Would doing as you suggested, still retain the recorded date, status, ResponseID and other survey metadata as the one that was originally recorded when survey response got captured ?

I am not conversant with webservice topic. If it is not too much to ask, can you please suggest what parameters I should give in webservice element in Qualtrics based on the API  request expected by Deepl given here in link : https://www.deepl.com/docs-api/translate-text

I want text to be translated to EN.

Would doing as you suggested, still retain the recorded date, status, ResponseID and other survey metadata as the one that was originally recorded when survey response got captured ?

Absolutely, you’re just updating the record, not importing it all over again. Make sure to set the "resetRecordedDate": false.

I did this task before when my client server go down and I have to update the incompleted response in a bulk. I did change laptop and lost it or else I’m willing to give you my old code as reference.

Can you please suggest what parameters I should give in webservice element in Qualtrics based on the API  request expected by Deepl given here in link : https://www.deepl.com/docs-api/translate-text

You only need ResponseID, SurveyID and the Opentext field

Thanks for the prompt response. I shall try it and get back to you in case I face any issue.

Leave a Reply