Using branch questions for only some respondents? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi there!

I'm running a survey with an attention check and a randomizer to shuffle respondents into one of 6 groups. 5 of the groups read some messages, the 6th one does not see any messages at all. I have each message set in its own block. After, I have a separate block with an attention check. It's a multiple choice question that just asks respondents what the topic of the messages was. Those who select the wrong choice are branched out to a survey completion. I don't want those in the 6th group to see this attention question at all, lest it signal they're in the control group

I've tweaked it a bit, first by having a simple branch for right or wrong, second by including the question at the end of each treatment block and branching out with an incorrect response. In both cases everyone in the 6th group is branched out because they don't answer the question at all, I'm assuming.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Two thoughts.
One is to look at the logic that determines "incorrect response to survey termination" to make sure it's got the needed exception for those who simply did not respond to the question. (Also make sure the termination step is nested under that path, not "out" a level catching more people than intended.)
The other would be to create an embedded data field for each group (Group=1-6) based on which path they go down, and then add a branch before the attention check question block so that Group 6 (control group).does not see that block at all.

dgomez00 ,
My guess is that your branch logic is something like "if correct answer not selected - end survey" and the problem is that the 6th group never answers correctly because they don't see the question. It that's the case, change the branch logic to "if correct answer not selected AND correct answer displayed - end survey".

Leave a Reply