Using Click Count for quality checking | XM Community
Skip to main content

I have a survey where it's important for (panel) respondents to read something (its a proposition they need to express opinions on).
I have set up the question as Text with a timer of 20 seconds. The countdown is visible at the top of the text and respondents are told that it's important for them to read the text and that the 'Next' button won't appear until the 20 seconds are up. The text itself is only a couple of sentences.
I have been reviewing the number of clicks on this page and the average, median and mode are all 5, meaning that the average respondent clicked the page 5 times even though there's a countdown and the Next button is not visible!
15% of my sample have clicked 10 or more times!
My question is:
Has anyone used the Click Count as a way of checking quality and engagement?
Any thoughts on the more general issue of engagement?
(My survey takes about 7-8 minutes and is not 'boring')

Arthur_Fletcher ,
What is the purpose of the 20 second timer? Is the 20 sec timer needed for the analysis of the data? Would a 5 or 10 second timer suffice? It sounds like most of your respondents are reading the proposition much faster than 20 seconds and are getting impatient to proceed.

Hi Thomas
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
The 20 second timer is there to encourage people to read what's on the page and prevent them from skipping through. The text would take a normal person 25-30 seconds to read so 20 seconds is the minimum.
Also, what they have to read is information rich and you can't just scan it to understand what its about.
Thanks
Arthur

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/50607#Comment_50607I'd second that perception. 20 seconds to read a couple of sentences sounds like a long and frustrating time.

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/22590/using-click-count-for-quality-checkingMy suggestion would be to disable the next button via JS rather than hide it. So that they know the Next Button is there but it will be enabled after 20 seconds by using the below code within a timeout function. Also, you can include a tooltip beside next button to show that instruction. The person who wants to skim will skim and those who want to actually grasp that information will wait. So you cannot control human behavior per say.
document.getElementById('NextButton').disabled=true;
Hope it helps!

Hi Deepak
Thanks for responding.
I take your point about being unable to control human behaviour!
My thought was that disabling the 'Next' button would encourage people to click even more, perhaps the click count option is not the best way to go on this one?
Cheers
Arthur

Arthur_Fletcher
There can be another option what we generally see in disclaimers that you need to click on a checkbox something like I have read and I agree. Once they click on it you enable the next button.
Just a thought here!

Hi Deepak
I've given this a try as I quite like the attempt to get some commitment.
Its difficult to quantify the impact but it feels right!
Arthur

Leave a Reply