Want choice text and not choice numbers in Excel exports | XM Community
Question

Want choice text and not choice numbers in Excel exports

Badge +1

Trying to use Drag & Drop choices so people can rank their preferences. When the survey is complete I would like to get my results in and Excel or CSV and have “human readable” data for each line - but I am only able to get the numbers of the choices and not the actual text. So for example I want to see:

Dave - pizza, ice cream, sushi, popcorn

Lisa - popcorn, sushi, pizza, ice cream

Ralph - ice cream, pizza, popcorn, sushi

But instead I’m getting:

Dave- 1,4,2,3

Lisa - 4,2,1,3

Ralph - 4,2,3,1

When exporting the file under Data & Analysis, I choose “Download all fields” and “Use choice text” (instead of Use numeric values) -- But I still get numbers for each question in my Excel sheet.

Any tips?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

Trying to use Drag & Drop choices so people can rank their preferences. When the survey is complete I would like to get my results in and Excel or CSV and have “human readable” data for each line - but I am only able to get the numbers of the choices and not the actual text. So for example I want to see:

Dave - pizza, ice cream, sushi, popcorn

Lisa - popcorn, sushi, pizza, ice cream

Ralph - ice cream, pizza, popcorn, sushi

But instead I’m getting:

Dave- 1,4,2,3

Lisa - 4,2,1,3

Ralph - 4,2,3,1

When exporting the file under Data & Analysis, I choose “Download all fields” and “Use choice text” (instead of Use numeric values) -- But I still get numbers for each question in my Excel sheet.

Any tips?

it shouldn’t be the case. Better clear your history for few days and try it again or try different browser. “Use choice text” option will always give you texts instead of numbers. 

Badge +1

Thanks.  I have tried this a few different days already and just cleared my browser cache.  Still getting the same numbers instead of responses in my Excel export.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @Dave D ,

Rank order questions will create a column for each option you have.

When you export in CSV or excel, the headers will mention which option that column represents while the cell will indicate the ranking.

More information: Rank Order Question (qualtrics.com)

If you have not start collecting responses, you can try adding branch condition and setting embedded data. (Tedious method as you will need to set for all type of scenarios).

If you already have the responses, you can modify the exported file by adding several columns and using “if” and “concat” function within excel.

Leave a Reply