Answers to 5 mutually exclusive questions (only 1 gets asked) to populate a single field? | XM Community
Solved

Answers to 5 mutually exclusive questions (only 1 gets asked) to populate a single field?

Badge +2

Hello!
This is a bit of a weird setup.
I'm making a 2-way interactive survey to enroll people via an access code.
As it is access code, I cannot send out the survey in multiple languages via the 'translate survey' tool.
SO, instead, I am using branch logic. The first question asks their preferred language, then they get the same set of questions, but only in their language (copy and pasted into the editor). Even the end of surveys/validations will be done manually like this.

My question is this:
Is there a way to create an embedded data field or something (I'm not even sure what) that populates based on the answer to any of the same question, but potentially different languages?
For example, when I ask their age and I have 3 different languages, the new field I would like to create would populate whether they answered the english one, the spanish one, or the chinese one.

I would like this data to be analyzable and added to the contact list as well.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

icon

Best answer by bmcgrath 26 May 2020, 16:15

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

If you haven't already found an answer, you can use the branch logic in the survey flow to set your embedded data fields. Depending on how you set up the branching for your questions, you can even use the same branching. Optionally set a blank embedded data field (let's say 'combinedQuestion1') at the beginning of your survey flow. And then within the English branch, after the questions are asked, set combinedQuestion1 equal to the response from question one using the piped text option. Do the same thing in each of the other language branches. And assuming the language question at the beginning is single select, nobody will follow multiple branches so your embedded data fields won't be overwritten and they will capture each response.

Badge +2

I actually did figure it out (just forgot to come back to this) and you're right, the same branch logic is the way to do it. Thanks!

Leave a Reply