Can I pipe a random selection of responses from a list of text responses into a new question? | XM Community
Skip to main content

In one question, I ask respondent to provide a list of local organizations (one per text box). Rather than followup with the entire list for them to rate, I'd like to limit the ratings to just three randomly-selected organizations from their list. One thought is to create an intermediate hidden question that pipes the entire list in and randomizes the order of the list. Then the followup question pipes the first three items from that hidden, now randomized, list. Is there a better way? Thanks.

You can create separate block for this rating questions, then on this block apply loop and merge based on the text entry question and check randomize the group option and put 3 in present only of total loops. Pipe in loop and merge field 1 where you want to show local organization name in rating question. Make sure you have force response or custom validation such that respondent enters at least 3 entries in text entry question.

That works quite well. Since I can't expect respondents to know 3 organizations, I set it up exactly as you instructed but tested it with only 2 organizations entered. It looped those two responses and then moved on. So it seems there's no need for forcing or validating and "Present only 3 of total loops" just sets a maximum rather than an exact number of loops.
Thank you!!!

Leave a Reply