Can I randomize block of questions but only evenly distribute the first block shown? | XM Community
Solved

Can I randomize block of questions but only evenly distribute the first block shown?

• 18 November 2020
  • 2 replies

I have a survey that has 4 blocks (A, B, C, and D) of questions, and I want to present them in a random order. However, I want each block to be shown first an equal number of times. For example, I hope to get 80 participants to complete the survey, and I would like:

• 20 participants to see Block A first (the order of the remaining blocks would be random)

• 20 participants to see Block B first (the order of the remaining blocks would be random)

• 20 participants to see Block C first (the order of the remaining blocks would be random)

• 20 participants to see Block D first (the order of the remaining blocks would be random)

Is this possible to do in one survey? Or would I just need to do 4 separate surveys?
The reason is I was suggested to do a within-subjects study, but I personally think that a between-subjects study is more adequate given the stimuli I am using. So I would like to gather the data in such a way that I could do later analyze the data either way (although the between-subjects study would have a lot less participants...but I think a sample size of 20 might be ok)

icon

Best answer by bstrahin 18 November 2020, 14:44

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

LauraD You can do this is one survey with Survey Flow randomization settings.
1) Set up a randomizer to evenly display 1 element from your four blocks
image.png2) Use branching logic to check which block had its first question shown and then randomize the order you show the other blocks and End the Survey within that branching element
image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

This makes sense. Thank you for including images - very helpful!
Thank you!!!

Leave a Reply