Can I use Piped Text Within Piped Text? | XM Community
Solved

Can I use Piped Text Within Piped Text?

Hello. I am trying to run a survey wherein I ask respondents a question about 10 randomly-selected pairs of states. Since there are 50*50 = 2500 possible state pairs, it would be very unwieldy to create a block in the survey for every single possibility and then have Qualtrics randomly-select 10 blocks.
One solution I thought of was the following: Create State1 = Alabama, State2 = Alaska, ..., State50 = Wyoming as 50 embedded data objects. Then, generate StateCodei_1 through StateCodei_10 and StateCodej_1 through StateCodej_10 by taking a random draw from 1 to 50. (This may lead to i and j being the same state on occasion, but let's put that aside for a moment.) Finally, use "piped text within piped text" along the following lines: ${e://Field/State${e://Field/StateCodei_1}} and ${e://Field/State${e://Field/StateCodej_1}} to call the relevant state names that have been randomly selected for the first of my 10 state-pair questions.
However, using piped text within piped text in this way doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something incorrectly, and is there a way of getting this to work? If not, do you have any suggestions about how I could implement this in a different way?
Thank you!

icon

Best answer by TomG 8 June 2020, 02:47

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

There is no way to pipe text within piped text.
Someone asked a similar pair randomization question just a few days ago. See this:
https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/26225#Comment_26225

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Allowing piped text within piped text should not be that difficult for Qualtrics to code into their platform and would definitely be useful when working with web services in email distributions (eg. where you want to pull web service results based on email recipients).

Leave a Reply