Connecting ExternalDataReference with Embedded Data for Branch Logic | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello! I am creating a survey where employees will be sent down different survey paths depending on their job type (Job Code.) For example, a Financial Analyst will be sent down a different path than a Payroll Director. I have approximately 120 job types, thus 120 different pahts/branches.
I would like for the employee to be able to input their Employee ID #, which would initiate a lookup in the Contact List to determine the employee's Job Code. Then, the Job Code will trigger which branch of questions the employee is to answer. I am having difficulty executing this.
The employee's Employee ID and Job Code are both listed in the Contact List. I have the branches successfully set up. I am having issues with the logic, though. How do I connect Employee ID and Job Code, so that when the employee types in their Employee ID, the survey finds their Job Code from the contact list. Then, based on the Job Code, the employee is sent down the appropriate branch.
Thank you for your help!

Inside authenticator, just add a embedded data element and use add from contact option to add job code embedded in the survey. (Check this)
Now using same embedded data add branch logic inside authenticator and show respective blocks

Hello rondev! Great suggestion using the authenticator. I am setting it up now.
Employees have their Employee ID's (ExternalDataReference) memorized, so they will easily be able to use it for authentication. How can I connect their employee ID response, however, with the Job ID I embedded into the survey directly before?

ARegs - You should initialize Job ID inside the Authenticator branch so it is assigned from the Contact List (Panel).

TomG and rondev It works!!!!!! Huge thanks to you both!!!

Leave a Reply