Counting responses from multiple questions | XM Community
Skip to main content
I have a ranking question that I only want to display if a participant selects a specific dropdown item 2 or more times in the previous matrix questions. Since there are multiple questions, I can't use the display logic to count.

!

If they select "Extremely Painful" two or more times, then display the question.

Is there a way to tally up the count from multiple questions? I'm trying to use embedded data (for the first time), but this command doesn't seem to work -

${q://QID1%232/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoicesCount/4}
You can count how many time it appear by applying the branch in survey flow. Like if for first option extremely painful punch count =1...increment it for all.

On your next question apply display logic using this embedded variable count.
@mkosterich,

The easiest way is to do it with JavaScript on a subsequent page and save the count to an embedded variable. Something like the following added to the addOnLoad function:

```

var countExtPain = "${q://QID2%232/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoicesForAnswer/1}".split(",").length;

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("countExtPain", countExtPain);

```
Thanks for your help @bansalpeeyush29 and @TomG!

Hello -
I have a similar question. I need to count how many times "Deceased" is checked in a loop. I have a MC question with 5 options, the last being deceased. I need to count how many times it is checked so that i can delete it from the original number.
Here's the back story. I have a variable called tot_sibs - that's the number of living siblings my respondents have. I then ask about each sibling to see if any are dead. The loop will ask the same 3 questions for each sibling. I need to substract the number of dead siblings from the original "tot_sibs" variable to create this new "Sibling_count" variable. That variable will then be used to display certain questions. I took the suggestions above as well as this post but nothing is working.
https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/20806/counter-for-answers
This is the code I used. I tested each one separately and nothing. Any help is much appreciated!
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{ var Counter = "${q://QID243/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoicesForAnswer/5}".split(",").length;
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("Counter", Counter); }

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{ if("${q://QID243/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}" == "DO NOT READ: DECEASED") {
 var Sib_Counter = "${e://Field/Sib_Counter}";
 Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("Sib_Counter", count + 1);}

Leave a Reply