Customize the message on authenticator page based on URL parameter? | XM Community
Solved

Customize the message on authenticator page based on URL parameter?

• 22 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

We've used the authenticator on numerous surveys with great success, but we'd like to customize the authenticator message based on a URL parameter. That is, if the url has something like ?dept=english it will say "please enter the code that Jane Doe, Chair of the English Department sent you. Yadda yadda. Her emails is janedoe@english.com." At that point the English faculty would enter the authenticator code.

If I was building this from scratch I'd have a table with department codes and department chairs, contact info, etc. and would look that up based on dept=english. However it's not clear that it's possible in Qualtrics, at least not without going to web services. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!
Chris Cosart | Senior Developer/Analyst
Center for Community College Student Engagement
Department of Educational Leadership and Policy
College of Education
The University of Texas at Austin

icon

Best answer by ccosart 25 July 2020, 22:28

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Following up, I could basically set up a web service on our current website to retrieve the info, but it seems like I should be able to have a contact list uploaded and pull from that. But maybe not if I'm using an anonymous link?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

We can write a custom code, in the header section, which will check the Q_URL parameter and accordingly update the error message.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I'm trying to avoid custom code if at all possible...

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Answering my own question, but the solution I eventually used was including a URL parameter and using that (contact_id) to call the Get Contact API. Then used the retrieved data as piped text in the authenticator message.
That way, I was able to look up the meta info from one contact list and use a different contact list for the authenticator.

Seems a little contrived, but it is working. Would still be open to other solutions if any one has one, since this will come up on the vast majority of our surveys.

Thanks.

Leave a Reply