Display codes from a list of codes with piped text | XM Community
Question

Display codes from a list of codes with piped text

• 17 October 2019
  • 4 replies

Dear Community,

Here's a toy version of my problem: Say I want to recruit five participants from a platform like Amazon Mechanical Turk, and want Qualtrics to display individual codes from a list of five pre-specified codes (each code should only be displayed once), using piped text. Participants then report their individual codes back to the recruiting platform.

The difference from a random code generator is that I want to determine the codes in advance, since I have to report them to the recruiting platform in advance. Could anybody help me with this? Thanks a lot in advance.

4 replies

Dear TomG,

thanks a lot for your response. I know about the survey flow randomizer: Not what I need, it seems, because I want to specify the codes in advance. Also, unfortunately, I need many more codes (hundreds), I just used an example with very few to ask the question as clearly as possible. All best, pondrian.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@pondrian,

@Libertywick's web service suggestion is the best solution, but it sounds like it might be outside your reach.

Since you have a small number of codes (5), an alternative would be to use a survey flow randomizer and quotas. Set up a quota of 1 for each of the five codes. Then inside a randomizer have a branch for each code that checks if its quota has not been met, then assign the code to an embedded variable.
Dear Libertywick, thanks so much for your response! Yes, this sounds good. Could you recommend a web service for this? I get the logic of this all, but have little technical skills. In case you have the time to give me a quick pointer / run me through how this would be done, I'd very much appreciate it, though I understand that it might be too much to ask.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Would a webservice and variables not suffice? you could use the webservice to pick 5 (even based on least filled) and then pipe the embedded variable into the survey. This would also help to create a record in case a participant entered a wrong or incomplete code.

Leave a Reply