Do you make any adjustments when emailing a survey to a very large # of recipients? | XM Community
Question

Do you make any adjustments when emailing a survey to a very large # of recipients?

• 6 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
  • Level 3 ●●●
  • 58 replies
I understand from Qualtrics support it should be fully possible for me to email a survey invite to around 65K recipients (via loaded contact list) but given that I've never attempted to reach nearly so many I am still nervous there could be issues or unforeseen complications. If someone can quickly share some best practices and call out any known risks/implications for me that would be hugely helpful!

Specific questions:
1. Do you do anything to split your large sends into batches (or do something else) to help with email deliverability? (Related .... Since this is a mass send, will it put me in jeopardy of getting the send-from email address blacklisted by recipient email servers? If so any way around this, e.g. splitting the send across a few different days or time blocks?)
2. If you send customer surveys and market research-type surveys from the same account, have you seen any negative impact to deliverability or response rate based on the occasional large sends? (I cannot do anything to damage my NPS response rate, so as a precaution I'm planning to at least use a different email address to send the large survey, but it will still be from the same domain and the same Qualtrics account. If anyone thinks there is still a risk here I might halt on sending the survey, or at least suggest significantly whittling down the # of recipients.)
3. Any other gotcha's or advice you have for me?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
1. Don't worry about it. Qualtrics already batches your large sends into smaller (I think 200) groups when sending. So it can take a while (a minute or 2) when sending 65K+.
Userlevel 4
Badge +21
You can create an embedded data field called "Phase" and then create a "Sample" based on that field and gradually distribute your emails based on Phases. I too worry about sending a large amount of survey invites and something not working correctly in the invite. Once I see a few responses, I release the balance of emails.
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Test test test!

Also, check what your reply-to address is. You will likely receive a ton of auto-replies and similar.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Thanks, @Akdashboard @GeorgeIssa @ClairJ . Great suggestions. I ended up sending in 8 batches (via splitting my contact list into 8 lists) for my peace of mind, and that actually enabled me to make 1 quick logic update partway through (too many respondents were selecting an answer for first question that skipped them to end of survey). Everything seems to be going well so far.

Leave a Reply