Embedded data field isn't displaying | XM Community
Skip to main content

I'm trying to use an embedded data field for display logic, but the display logic isn't working correctly. It appears as if the embedded data field isn't being set properly. The question that creates the embedded data field is a group of 3 drill downs.
Here's the embedded data field. Second one is to see if a Text field would work instead of a Text Set:
image.png

And here's a test question to try to get drilldown2 or drilldown to appear:
image.png
The only thing that appears is the query (${q://QID21/ChoiceGroup/SelectedAnswers/2}), or whatever that's called. Here's what it appears when I'm taking the survey:
image.pngAm I creating the embedded variable incorrectly?

The drill down question and the test question should be in different blocks with the embedded field logic between them. Is this the way you have set it up?

Check on your survey flow and make sure that you have it in this order:

1. Block with the questions that create the embedded data field

2. Block to set the embedded data (the green one) with the piped text

3. Block with the question in which you are going to use the embedded data "drilldown"

Great, thanks Mishraji and Isabel! I was setting the embedded data at the very end of the flow, so I moved that block to the middle before the last block and this is working as expected.
Follow-up question: is there a way to create embedded variables mid-block? I had to split out my questions into two blocks so that the embedded variables could be used for the display logic of some later questions, which means that the questions are split into two pages. Is there any workaround without much Javascript to get questions all on one page?

That would not be possible without javascript.
However the logic you wrote for creating the embedded variable can be put down as display logic for the later questions.

Leave a Reply