How do I exclude "none of the above" from un-selected carry forward choices? | XM Community
Skip to main content
I'm trying to learn more about why respondents did not selected certain answers to a question by asking a follow-up question based on their un-selected choices. I can carry forward all of the un-selected choices to the follow-up question, but want to exclude the choice of "none of the above" because it wouldn't make any sense to follow-up on that option.
You can't exclude it. You can hide it with JavaScript in the follow-up question. The exact script would depend on the question type/configuration.

A non-script alternative would be to list all the options in the second question (not carryover), and set up display logic on each one.
Interesting solutions/workarounds. I'll give these options a try. Thank you!

Hello, what exact script could I use? I've been struggling with this issue for days and haven't found a way to work around it. Help is much much appreciated.

victorcc , I ended using TomG 's second suggestion of using display logic as opposed to carry-forward logic. Here's how (let's assume Q1 is your first question  and Q2 is your follow-up):

• Make sure "None of the above" in Q1 is an exclusive answer so if the question is "select all", respondents can't select other options and then none of the above

• Add display logic to Q2: Display Q2 only if "None of the above" is NOT selected in Q1

• In Q2, keep all of your answer options from Q1 but add display logic to each option to only display if option is NOT selected in Q1

You can also use the approach here, which is quicker to implement than the display logic: https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/11930/exclude-none-from-carry-forward-answer-choices
It says to use 'carry forward' and then use Randomisation>Advanced Randomisation on the carry forward question and put 'None of the Above' in the 'exclude' category.

Leave a Reply