How do you create a user type/group type that only permits people to view surveys and not edit? | XM Community
Skip to main content

I'm trying to clean up our permissions structure for users and groups, and really struggling. There's a ton of duplicate groups provided as defaults by qualtrics, with the same names and seemingly arbitrary differences in the selected permissions (since they are called 'default brand group type' etc. there's no way to understand why they are in there) so rather than make use of the default structure we are starting from scratch and creating our own structure. Here's what we're aiming for right now on roles -
Brand admins- superusers who can do everything
Reviewers - people looking at content and may add notes to surveys or emails, but who don't need to make changes directly to the content
Survey creators - people outside our team who want to play around with survey design and submit surveys to us for review, but with no ability to publish or send out surveys
Data users - who don't create surveys, but need to extract data for use in Tableau and other platforms beyond Qualtrics
Survey viewers - who only need to see the survey logic and question design, but need no access to make edits to anything in the surveys
We're struggling to map these use cases on to the user and group type structure. It's still unclear to me why you would need both user and group types, and the documentation on this has not really helped clarify it for me. I have not been able to get the user type permissions set up to reflect these roles, especially for the survey viewer role, as it seems there is no way to grant 'view only' permission anywhere. It looks like anyone who gets access to the survey editor will have the ability to edit.
Do you have any thoughts on this role structure, or how we might leverage the user type and group type functions to achieve it?

Hi jcwright ! If you haven’t already, I’d recommend reviewing this support page on user permissions and this support page on survey approval processes to help you get started. If you still have questions after reviewing the linked support pages, you'll want to reach out to the Support team, as they are best equipped to help answer questions and provide support! 😀

Hey,
we also need to set up exactly these role types.
is there any possibility, jcwright that you share the permissions you set up?
That would be very helpful.
Best regards,
Miriam

Leave a Reply