How to add embedded data to a survey invite on email distribution | XM Community
Solved

How to add embedded data to a survey invite on email distribution

• 10 February 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • QPN Level 4 ●●●●
  • 216 replies
Hi,
I'd like to schedule a survey with 4 iterations, and each iteration runs after 3 weeks.
I want an embedded data field "iteration" that contains the number, so 1, 2, 3 or 4.
The easiest way to me seemed to include this number into the survey url on the scheduled distributions (so distribution scheduled on today has iteration=1 and the distribution scheduled within 3 weeks has iteration=2).
However I can't find how to append embedded data to the standard survey link field:

${l://SurveyLink?d=Take the Survey}

I tried
${l://SurveyLink?iteration=1&d=Take the Survey}
${l://SurveyLink?d=Take the Survey}&iteration=1
${l://SurveyLink?d=Take the Survey&iteration=1}

None of these combinations seem to append to the actual url.
It does work with the url field that doesn't have a description:
Or copy and paste the URL below into your internet browser:
${l://SurveyURL}&iteration=1
but I do want the url to have a text description instead of the long url...
I also don't want to hardcode my survey url as I want to reuse this message as template, and I'm using individual links.

Anyone an idea?
icon

Best answer by Akdashboard 11 February 2020, 15:26

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5
Can you add a new field to the contact list, then have 4 surveys - each picking up a new field?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi @AliLN ,
We must keep 1 single survey,
as the data is being exported to SAP Analytics Cloud, and it's too difficult to combine the results from 4 surveys together in SAC for the trend statistics
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Your syntax for ${l://SurveyURL}&iteration=1 is close, but your first value that you append to the URL string needs to start with ?, then all subsequent values are attached with &.

So it should be ${l://SurveyURL}?iteration=1.

Then if you don't want the full URL to show up you need to hyperlink the text with the appended URL. You can either do this directly in the source code or simply click the hyperlink button and paste "${l://SurveyURL}?iteration=1" in prompt.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks @Akdashboard , gonna try that later.
the & was because I was still using Send Preview email and that already appends one attribute for preview mode; like
https://survey.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/preview/SV_surveycode?Q_CHL=preview&data=test
So I was using the & currently, for actual sends it would indeed need to be ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I just found the "Survey Director" functionality, which seems to be able to set an Embedded Data field, based on conditions like Date!
Still testing it, I'll post an update here when finished.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I usually comment out the default email distribution survey links and then build a custom survey link using something similar to:
`JoCoHS">https://[subdomain].qualtrics.com/jfe/form/[surveyId]?UUID=${e://Field/UUID}&Email=${m://Email1}&key=${e://Field/key}">Survey link`

Just for clarification, when talking about email distributions, embedded data from the survey is not useful (even though it appears in the email distribution embedded data choices). Contact embedded data is available to use in the email distributions, but does not always show up as an option in the piped text selection list (but you can use it if you know the embedded data variable name).

Leave a Reply