How to allow input of punctuation marks in text entry boxes? And why survey stuck in that page? | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hello,

I meet two issues with text entry questions.

My pilot survey participants feedback that they could not input commas, brackets and such punctuation marks in the text entry boxes. Does anyone know what I can do set up?

And there's another issue that two of my participants said they stuck in a page where there's text entry questions. I re-tried them in a copy project it is true, but could not figure out what the problem is, because I have two questions asking exactly the same thing in two different blocks (relating to different contexts), however, the latter one always get stuck in that page while the former one does not. The questions contains two text entry options, where I set a validation logic that at least one of them should not be empty, and my participant input words in both, so I'm still confused why it stuck.

Many thanks,

gaga
Hi @Kiwigaga ,

Is the first issue something your pilot respondents reported for all text entry fields, or just certain ones? Either way, check what type of validation is set for them.

The other issue is hard to diagnose without knowing what was entered by the respondents or being able to see the validation logic. However, if you're using Custom Validation in both questions, there could be a minor difference in the second question that is causing this impasses, like an "AND" instead of an "OR", or vice versa. I would suggest you take screen shots of the Custom Validation rules in both question and compare to make sure they match. It's also possible that if you set up the Custom Validation in the first question before making a copy of it to create the second question, the validation logic in the second question may actually still have references to the first question.
> Hello @MatthewM

Thank you very much for your kind and expert explanation. Yes, you're right, I got a validation logic brought from the first question by mistake.

However, what I still want to fix is the text entry problem. It seems no one has countered such situation before? My participants did not point out to particular questions, but seems they mean for all text entry boxes they could only input words, but not any marks..Do you have any idea what could cause this?

Many thanks for your answer, it's quite helpful.
> @Kiwigaga said:

> However, what I still want to fix is the text entry problem. It seems no one has countered such situation before? My participants did not point out to particular questions, but seems they mean for all text entry boxes they could only input words, but not any marks..Do you have any idea what could cause this?

Do you have any JavaScript in your header or footer? An input, keyup, keydown, or keypress handler could be preventing it.
Hello @TomG,

I don't have any javascript. But thank you for your answer, maybe I need it in the future. I went through their answers, it seems I got it wrong. not all text entry questions have this issue.
Glad that helped. For the text entry problem the only thing I can think of is that the fields might be set to Content Validation with Text Only content. If that is the setting, then it will not accept punctuation or numbers; you'll need to change the Validation Type to None, or use Minimum Length, Maximum Length, or Character Range if you need to control how much text is entered.

Leave a Reply