How to carry forward choices only for 2 out of 4 scale points | XM Community
Question

How to carry forward choices only for 2 out of 4 scale points

• 13 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello Qualtrics community!
I am compiling a survey for patients with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. In several questions I am asking for drugs and other therapies the patients have already tried. Scale points from 1-4 are given for "negative effect", "no effect", "little effect" and "good effect".
I would like to carry forward only those items that have been marked for scale points 3 and 4 (little effect AND good effect) but have not been able to find out how to achieve this. Could you please point me to the right direction?
Thanks and regards,
Michael

3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi MitchJe -

so the problem is that carry forward selected choices is limited to one option, and you can't stack multiple inclusions/exclusions the way you can with display logic:
image.pngThe work around I would personally use, is to use display logic on the answer choice, and write in the med. Like so:
image.pngClick the down arrow next to the answer choice you want to carry forward. Then choose Add diplay logic...
image.pngAdd the display logic to the answer choice, little or good effect chosen. Warning, take extra care to make sure your answer choice matches the statement from the matrix table, if you're using a matrix table.
image.pngWhen you've added the display logic to the answer choice, the blue down-right arrow will show. *Due Diligence* : make sure if no choices are displayed, the question doesn't display.
I know it's more tedious than if carry forward let you do more than one, but it is a functioning work-around. I hope that helps.
-TM

Badge

Hi TM,

thanks so much for your answer! I tried it and unfortunately noted that in my case it won't work. I am trying to apply this display logic in answers that have been carried forward from a previous likiert-scale table.
The logic is like this:
Q1: Which meds from the following table did you use previously:
Med Name1 - negative effect - no effect - little effect - good effect
Med Name2
Med Name3
etc. for ca. 20 meds
Q2: Which of the previously used meds do you take today?
(...here chose from a list of carried forward choices from Q1)

In Q2 I would like to ask only for meds marked with little or good effect in Q1.

In addition, I have 6 tables like Q1, for 6 classes of meds. I really would like to ask the Q2 (above) for the 3- and 4-point answers of all those 6 tables.
Sorry that I was not clear about this in my original question...
Regards,
Michael

Userlevel 1

Hey Michje
I see you. In defense of what i was saying before: I may have been unclear that I was saying *instead of* using carry forward choices, you could put all meds as answer choices manually in Q2, then add display logic to each answer choice. Each answer choice's display logic (In Q2) checks both conditions (little effect || no effect) for that med's statement in Q1. And then it will show meds, from all six tables, in one question, ONLY IF little effect, or no effect was selected for that med. You will have to put all 6 table's worth of meds into Q2 though.
here's a pic to illustrate:
image.pngthe answer "group 1 med 1" in Q2 checks if in Q1, the statement "group 1 med 1" had" little effect" or "good effect" chosen, and displays in Q2 if that condition is met. the answer "group 2 med 1" in Q2 checks if the statement "group 2 med 1" had little or good effect selected and so on.
I've tested it and it works, *you just have to forgo using carry forward choices*. If it isn't working for you then that is my failure to communicate. :(
It would be nice if you could carry forward choices from more than 1 question, into 1 question though...

Leave a Reply