how to counterbalance a multiple choice question for a fixed portion of the experiment | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi all,
I'm trying to find an elegant solution to counterbalancing within the choices in a multiple choise question. I'm trying to build an experiment with 100 trials that asks the same question in the end of each trial. I have only two choices for this question. For the sake of this discussion let's call them option A and option B. The trials are completely randomized.
The struggle I'm having is to find a solution that allows me to show randomly to partcipants for the first 50 trials of the experiment A in a fixed place and B in a fixed place, and for the second half of the experiment (the remaining 50 trials) their fixed location will switch and remain in this new fixed place for all of the remaining trials. The biggest problem is that all the trials are randomized, therefore I cannot control which trials will be the first half and which would be the second. Is this something I can solved with embedded data and trial number? Anyone ever done this before? Any Ideas?

You can create a 'trial' quota and set it to 50 to know when to switch the order.
You'll have to swap the order of the choices with JavaScript. Add this to the addOnload function:
if("${qo://QO_XXX/QuotaMet}"=="1") {
var q = jQuery("#"+this.questionId);
q.find("ul.ChoiceStructure").append(q.find("li.Selection").first()));
}
where XXX is the quota id of your trial quota.

Leave a Reply