how to de-randomize randomized items | XM Community
Skip to main content

i have a survey which has a construct which consists of 4 items. the four items are presented as a question, with a response on likert type scaling 1-5. qualtrics records the responses and which item is presented, but how do i get the responses all in the same lines again - essentially how do i de-randomize the responses in the actual data. i can see how to do it manually - by literally moving each response around so that they are in the correct columns - but that cannot be the right way? 

Usually response data isn't randomized unless you've done some kind of unusual implementation.
Here are three ways you could implement randomization and have the response data in a consistent order:

1. A Matrix with 4 choices (rows) and 5 scales points (columns). Randomize the choices.

2. A Loop & Merge block with 4 loops (one for each item). Pipe the items into a MC question with 5 choices and randomize the loop.

3. A block with one MC question with 5 choices for each item. Randomize the questions in the block.

I have the same question and the answer was not helpful as it appears to talk about randomization and not de-randomization. In Qualtrics you can export the order in which an item was presented to a respondent but you cannot export the data in the same order that it was presented to the respondent. Some type of custom code will be required (and I don't have it)...

Leave a Reply