How to display unselected choices from one question in a list view using descriptive text question? | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hi everyone,

The first question in my survey asks: Please select the software you would like to keep: (the options are based on the user taking the survey). My next question asks: Why do you want to keep the selected software? (This is a text entry question and I used carry forward from fields to display the users selected choices). I want my third question to be descriptive text and display in list view, the unselected choices. I don't know how to do this without changing the question type to multiple choice and adding display logic to the options. I don't want to do this because I want the user to see the unselcted choices (in list view), but not select them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, Chirag.

When you edit the text for question three, you can select "Piped Text..." > Survey Question > Q1 > Unselected Choices to insert the unselected choices as a comma-separated list. You may need to have this question in a new block from question 1 for it to show up properly. And I'm assuming question one is multiple choice.

Does that get you what you're looking for? Or am I misunderstanding?
Through JavaScript, you can replace "," with newline "\\n" to present it in list view form.
I am in the HTML tab of the question and it reads: Here is a summary of your unselected choices: ${q://QID1/ChoiceGroup/UnselectedChoices}. Not really sure how to implement your suggestion with javascript. Could you please explain in more detail because I am new to Qualtrics (first survey)? Thanks!
The below discussion will guide you for replacing "comma" with "new line".

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/685/replace-commas-from-piped-response-with-linebreaks

Consider "pipedText" as an embedded data to which you are assigning value ${q://QID1/ChoiceGroup/UnselectedChoices}
Thanks for your reply. So, I am taking the unselected choices from the first question using carry forward from fields. That is where the code ${q://QID1/ChoiceGroup/UnselectedChoices} comes from. Never learned JavaScript so not really sure what I am supposed to be doing. Also, my first question has 32 options with display logic and each user taking the survey will only see the options that pertain to them.
Hello @Cgandhi07 ,

Step 1: Make an embedded data(UnselectedChoices) in the survey flow before your first question.

Step 2: Paste the following code in your first question `js(OnReady)` part:

jQuery('input[type=checkbox]').change(function() {

var s="";

jQuery('input:checkbox:not(:checked)').each(function(index){

s=s+"<li>"+ jQuery(this).parent().find("label.MultipleAnswer").text()+"</li>";

});

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData( 'UnselectedChoices', s );

});

Step 3: Pipe in the embedded data(created at point 1, UnselectedChoices) in your third question

Output:

!

Piping in next question

!

Note: In the first picture the option "Click to write Choice 1" is hidden using option display logic. Hence, only Unselected Displayed Choices is piped in
Make sure you are pipe-in UnselectedDisplayedChoices
@Shashi Thanks for your response. Your solution worked perfectly! Thank you!!
@Mohammedali_Rajapakar_Ugam and @jfear Thank you for taking the time to help me with my problem. Really appreciate it!

Leave a Reply