How to randomize 89 items within a block and over 6 randomized blocks? | XM Community
Solved

How to randomize 89 items within a block and over 6 randomized blocks?

• 9 July 2018
  • 8 replies

I have a 89-item scale (Using a matrix-question type) that has to be completely randomized. As these are a lot of items especially for mobile version, I would like to put them on more than one page (e.g. 6 blocks), so users do not have to scroll the whole time.

I already randomized blocks over the survey flow, but I cannot randomize the items also over the pages.

Is there a way to randomize the items over multiple blocks, for example with java script?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by drlestj 9 July 2018, 18:14

View original

8 replies

I've done something similar, but put all the questions in the same block. I then used Block Options > Question Randomization > Randomize the order of all questions. Then, for each question, I did Choice Randomization > Advanced Randomization and set up advanced randomization. (I had 106 choices.) I then set up Custom Validation so that users would have to meet some condition before moving onto next page, which functionally only shows one question per page. I specifically designed this for mobile, so it might work for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Hi @Algerlac! Just wanted to jump in here and mention that if you choose to use Advanced Randomization, you can actually set the questions per page for that specific block!
Thank you. It is interesting what youve done, but I have 89 questions, and as choices I have - for all the same - likert from 0 to 4, so a 5-point likert.

If it would work, what would be the condition the user would meet to move to the next page in my case?
Perhaps, rather than using a validation condition, under Look & Feel you could set Questions per Page to be 1. That would be easiest, I would think.
That would imply that I would have only one question on each page also in the other parts of my study. so that would not work .. Thank you anyways for you attempt!
Dear Laura
I looked at the description of Randomization that was linked in you comment. Unfortunately, I have no such option under Advanced Randomization called "Question per page".

Do you have an Idea what to do? Do I have to adjust settings?

Also, it does not appear if I insert pages in a block.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Hi @Algerlac! In the future, be sure to use @ to tag an individual in your comment so they get notified! If you do not see Questions per Page when you go to Block Options > Question Randomization > Advanced Randomization please reach out to our Support team!
Badge +1
I am not really sure there has been an answer to question @drlestj : the items are in a single matrix, not in multple questions. How can we randomize the order of items AND split them into multiple pages?

Leave a Reply