How to repeatedly randomly select items from an item pool without replacement? | XM Community
Skip to main content
50 Participants in my experiment will progress through four conditions in a random order (counter balanced). In each of these four conditions, each participant will judge data from 5 subjects. These 5 subjects are randomly drawn from a pool of 250 subjects. I need to make sure that the randomly selected 5 subjects that are being drawn in conditions 2-4 are not the same 5 subjects that were drawn in the first condition. So the procedure looks like this: a participant starts the survey, will be randomly assigned one of the four conditions, then will be presented with the data from a first subject that is randomly drawn from the pool of 250 subjects. Then, the participant will answer a few questions. After this, the participant will be presented with another randomly drawn subject, answers a few questions, and so on, until the participant judged 5 subjects. Then, the participant will progress to a second (randomly assigned) condition, and the procedure repeats. The randomly drawn subjects must not be the same as in the first, or any other condition.

Ideally, the subject data that I present to participants should be a graphic.

Any help is really highly appreciated, thanks a lot in advance!!!
50 Participants in my experiment will progress through four conditions in a random order (counter balanced). In each of these four conditions, each participant will judge data from 5 subjects. These 5 subjects are randomly drawn from a pool of 250 subjects. I need to make sure that the randomly selected 5 subjects that are being drawn in conditions 2-4 are not the same 5 subjects that were drawn in the first condition. So the procedure looks like this: a participant starts the survey, will be randomly assigned one of the four conditions, then will be presented with the data from a first subject that is randomly drawn from the pool of 250 subjects. Then, the participant will answer a few questions. After this, the participant will be presented with another randomly drawn subject, answers a few questions, and so on, until the participant judged 5 subjects. Then, the participant will progress to a second (randomly assigned) condition, and the procedure repeats. The randomly drawn subjects must not be the same as in the first, or any other condition.

Ideally, the subject data that I present to participants should be a graphic.

Any help is really highly appreciated, thanks a lot in advance!!!
Hello @mneumann ,

If you have one subject as one block in the survey flow then you can create 250 embedded data for 250 subjects and initially set them as 0. Once, the respective subject is displayed, set the respective embedded data as 1. In the randomizer, add a condition to show the block if its respective embedded data is 0.
Hello @mneumann ,

Please refer this post

Leave a Reply