How to send out email trigger for a follow up study 5 months after ? | XM Community
Skip to main content
My survey respondents in survey 1 will need to do a follow up survey 5 months after they have finished the first one. I tried to set up email trigger with the link of survey 2 in it, but there is no feature allows me to send the trigger out automatically according to my timeframe. And as some embedded data from survey 1 need to be transferred to the survey two, sending a separate follow up invitation to the respondents won't help me because I need the compare the survey 1 & 2 responses of the same respondents. Anyone who has this experience before? Your advice will be highly appreciated!
To automate this I think you an do it like this:

1. Create a Contact List Trigger to save the embedded data that needs to be passed from Survey1 to Survey2 as recipient embedded data.

2. Create an action to run a web service that uses the Qualtrics API to create a survey distribution for Survey2 that will send an invitation in 5 months. (use ${date://OtherDate/c/+5%20month} to pipe five months from today as the sendDate).
@AvisTam - You can still use a follow up email with a separate survey link to survey 2 and compare the data from survey 1.

What you need to do is create a contact list trigger and attach the data you need. Essentially you are making a mailing list with the data you need as embedded data. You can then reference this list to send a scheduled survey to survey 2 in 5 months.

Note - I have never set up a distribution using a list that was being updated, but I imagine you can do so without it excluding people added after the time that the distribution was programmed because it sends the whole list as default... just can't confirm.
Contact list trigger will be the best option here as you can't customise date in simple trigger email, get your variables punched in contact list trigger and use this list for the email distribution of another survey
Hey @AvisTam! Feel free to post this in our Product Ideas category, as it is a feature not already developed by our team. Be sure to review the How to Write a Good Product Idea template and our Ideation Guidelines before you post your idea!

AvisTam Did you ever figure out how to do this? I'm running into a similar problem where I need to send follow-up surveys 6 weeks after the baseline survey is completed. I understand the gist of what TomG recommends, but I'd appreciate more information to help me carry this out. Thanks!

EmmaMWatters - The API documentation change a bit since I posted the solution. For distribution API see: https://api.qualtrics.com/reference#distributions

Leave a Reply