Solved

I can't seem to get the formatting of the likert scales right

• 12 November 2018
  • 6 replies

Dear Community,

In my edit screen the Likert scale looks like this

In my preview screen it looks like this:
!

How do i get it to stretch all out to the left? So it fills the whole room under the question?

Best,

Kyrre
icon

Best answer by MichelleC 12 November 2018, 21:08

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
@Kyrre , well, you can force this to happen, but it may not work the way you want it to. Depending on the screen size of your user's device, it could cause the display to get really ugly. Qualtrics questions are, I believe, set up to auto-format to a certain extent to the display size the respondent is using (I _think_). Your Edit screen shot is missing, so I can only guess that it's probably displaying the way you want it to and seeing something different in your preview.

Here's really rough manually forced screen cap:
!
I formatted each response choice individually with the Rich Text Editor and put them in 250px sized single column/single row table. Ignore the last option - I was messing with tabs, etc. You can remove the border from the table when you set it up so your respondents wouldn't see that.

Is this helpful? Am I missing your point? 😀
Dear Michelle,

Here is how it looked like in the editor:
!

So I should manually go into every response choice and make them bigger?

Thank you so much for the help :)

Best,

Kyrre
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Instead of creating a Likert scales question you can simply have it as a multi-choice question with single select(answer) and have the position as horizontal.

Please refer below documentation:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/question-types-guide/standard-content/multiple-choice/
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
@Kyrre , yes, if you definitely want them to a horizontal LIkert scale, that's the only thing I can think of. However, @Mohammedali_Rajapakar_Ugam raised a good point for ease of use. (see above). Also, one thing to consider if you have respondents using mobile devices, they may be forced to scroll left or right to access the full question if you use the horizontal format.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I believe it will look fine on mobile as well. You can give it a try.. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Kyrre,

You could just hide the label column:
```
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" .c1").hide();
});
```