IPAQ and Godin Scales | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi,
I'm new in Qualtrics. I'm creating a survery and I need to use the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) and/or Goding Leisure-Time Exerice Scale. I have used other scales in the same survey and it was clear how to do it (Likert-type - with responses raging 4 to 1 and for some of the items I have to give them reverse-scored values), but no idea about how to do it in IPAQ.
Could someone tell me how to do this with the IPAQ? I have pasted first question below (if answer is given to 1a, participants will have to answer 1b)

Thank you

1a). During the last 7 days before, on how many days did you do vigorous physical activities like heavy lifting, digging, aerobics or fast bicycling? 
Think about only those physical activities that you did for at least 10 minutes at a time. 
_____ days per week
Or
_______ none 1b). How much time in total did you usually spend on one of those days doing vigorous physical activities? 
_____ hours per day _____ minutes per day 

For 1a, you can use a multiple choice question with allow text entry on the first choice (days per week).
For 1b, you can use a either a text entry form, text entry matrix with one row, or side-by-side with text entry.
Use display logic on 1b to only display if the first choice is selected in 1a.
If need be, the format/layout can be modified with JavaScript.

Thanks a lot TomG

Hi Tom,
Sorry for asking about this again but I'm not sure I'm doing this right. I have attached a screen shot of what I've done. Do you think this will work for IPAQ?
I did the 1a a bit different and I thought that I could give the option 'NONE' the value 0 (zero).
I tried to do what you suggested but If does not allow me to type a number there (in the text entry). In the photo you can see what I selected on the right.
Regards
N.
Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 18.14.14.png

I think what you did will work, but you need to add display logic to the matrix questions. You can use in-page logic and only display if the previous is question is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7.
Yes, you can recode the values to match the number of days with None=0.
I don't understand why you couldn't type a number when you added "Allow text" to an option. Maybe you were in edit mode. You have to preview to see how it will actually operate.

Hi Tom,
I will apply the logic now. I wanted to be sure I was doing it right first. I actually have to do it for two more question in the scale that are similar.
I'll see in preview about the text option. It couldn't be very complicated. Not sure what happened.
Thank you so much for all your help

Leave a Reply