Is it possible to use same question number for timing elements when using a randomizer? | XM Community
Question

Is it possible to use same question number for timing elements when using a randomizer?

• 26 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi
I am relatively new to Qualtrics and I haven't found information regarding this question on the forums.
Here is my current application.
I am making an experiment using the randomizer element in the flow of the survey. Thus, participants will be randomly assign to one block. I need to know how much time participants spend in the block despite the condition than they are assign by the randomizer. That is why i've inserted a timing element in each of the possible blocks within the randomizer. I though about naming the timing elements with the same question ID/Number. The idea was to get always the time recorded in the same ID/Number no matter to which block participants get assign by the randomizer.
Could there be any conflicts for naming the timing elements with the same ID? Or would I get the report of the survey for the timing element for any condition that the participant is assign to with the same ID?

Thanks for your help
Miguel Meza

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi,
If your requirement is to calculate the time spent for complete block then using Q_TotalDuration variable in survey flow you can calculate it.
1. Create the Q_TotalDuration variable in the survey flow at start.
2.Add the below embedded variable in the branch of block 1 before the block.
block1_time_before = ${e://Field/Q_TotalDuration}
3. After the block 1 add the below embedded variable which will store the time spent in block1.
block1_Time = $e{ e://Field/Q_TotalDuration - e://Field/block1_time_before }
See, below screenshot.
image.png

Hi SurajK, thanks for your suggestion.
It is good to know that there are other alternatives to the process that I was planing. I was simplifying the question for the forum but in fact i want to measure the duration of all blocks in the survey. In my survey a block is always a page, that is why i was thinking about using the Timing Question and get the "Page Submit" time. In the randomizer i have several conditions and each condition has 10 blocks (in this case pages). I will try to use timing questions and your option and compare results. But timing seems at the moment a little bit easier because it would be only one question per block instead of two "Set Embedded Data" per block.

From the timing question documentation it seems that the reports are generated for the Question Number/ID but until I try it I will not be able to know if the report gives me the same ID no matter which conditions participants were assigned to.

I will let you know what I find

Leave a Reply