Is there a difference between piping the External Data Ref from Embedded Data Field vs Panels Field? | XM Community
Skip to main content
My original question was if there is a difference between piping text from an Embedded Data Field compared to the Panels Field, but I was able to answer that one on my own. The Panels field only includes Recipient First Name, Recipient Last Name, Recipient Email, External Data Reference, and Recipient Language, whereas the Embedded Data Field includes Recipient First Name, Recipient Last Name, Recipient Email, External Data Reference, a few Qualtrics-generated variables, and any embedded data fields added by the user.

So my question that I'm still unsure of is if there are any differences between piping Recipient First Name, Recipient Last Name, Recipient Email, or External Data Reference from an Embedded Data Field compared to the Panels Field.

When piping from each field, the back end looks like this:

Embedded Data Field: ${e://Field/ExternalDataReference}

Panels Field: ${m://ExternalDataReference}

My purposes for using this are generally in my email invites and reminders, but I'm curious about if it matters in survey questions as well.

Thanks in advance.
The Panels fields (e.g., First Name, Last Name) will be captured automatically with the survey response so (generally) you won't need to pipe them in separately. Can you provide more detail about how to are wanting to use this information in invites and reminders?

@KeirJ, I also assumed Firstname, Lastname and Email were automatically captured too. But to my embarrassment, this data was not available to the Reports-Module on the first round of surveying I did. I had to manually add a Survey Flows to add these fields - then they appeared the in the next round of data for my Reports. And Yes, I should have tested this beforehand - but I could swear that data came across automatically too.
Now to be safe, I just Pipe in that data from Survey Flows no matter, just to be safe. But to khippen question - I still don't know the difference between these two methods of piping in data:
${m://FirstName}
${e://Field/FirstName}
${e://Field/RecipientFirstName}
I tested each, and all sets of data came into my Report. I actually prefer to use the RecipientFirstName.

Thanks, ScottH!

Leave a Reply