Loop and merge based on carried forward info (but only if more than four options are chosen) | XM Community
Question

Loop and merge based on carried forward info (but only if more than four options are chosen)

• 16 February 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi all,
I have a survey where the respondents will be asked what activities they take part in, and then I have created a Loop and Merge-block to ask a battery of questions about each activity. But I need to limit how many loops they go through as the survey could end up being very long otherwise, so I want them to choose the four most important ones if they choose more than four (but I still need to record the others, as that is important data).
I have created a new question which only shows up if they choose more than four activities, and have their choices carried forward, asking them to choose the four most important ones. But then I cannot set the loop and merge to use either the first question or the question with the carried forward answers. I also don't want to set the Loop and Merge to present four random loops, as the importance is very relevant for my research. I also tried to set conditions in the survey flow, but that still requires me to set the loop and merge to a specific question, unless I create two sets of loop and merges, but that would make my data very unruly, would it not?
How would you solve this?

(Apologies in advance if a similar issue has already been discussed, I have searched extensively but perhaps I have missed out on a keyword or function)

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Here's one solution. The attached QSF has its implementation and this is a demo for it.

1. Page 1: Create the question where you want people to select all their choices.

2. Page 2:

3. Create a question asking people to select their top 4 choices. Carry forward choices from the previous question to this one.

4. In default choices, select all the choices

5. Add a timing question here. Add auto-advance after 0.1 seconds. Add display logic to display only if the selected choice count in first question is greater than 4.

6. Block 2: Loop and Merge off Q2 selected choices.

Q2 flickers for blink if the choices are less than 4, in the preview and QSF, I've added some custom CSS to avoid this. But that's totally optional.

LM.qsf

Leave a Reply