Loop and Merge vs. Carry Forward | XM Community
Question

Loop and Merge vs. Carry Forward

• 23 July 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge

I'm looking to ask a series of the same questions about different features of a program. Due to the number of features, I'm trying to limit the number of loops but there's a few things I wanted to try that I can't figure out how to do:

1. Randomize the features presented in the loop, but make sure each loop "set" includes one of 3 particular features. (It looks like I may need to create a separate loop and merge for this set of 3).

2. The question that feeds my loop has two possible answers that I'd like to use to exclude features being used in the loop. "Never" and "I was not aware of this feature". I can choose to have features used in the loop for "Never is NOT selected" but it doesn't seem like I can choose if "Never is NOT selected OR I was not aware is NOT selected." Is it possible to have two conditions in a loop and merge?

3. If I use carry-forwards, can I somehow limit the # of questions/loops I'm asking in some way? I don't wish for every possible question to be a matrix-style question.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

It is difficult to understand the specifics of your situation with the limited information provided, but...
The difference between Loop and Merge and Carry Forward is whether you want to present the items (e.g., features) one at a time or all at the same time, respectively.
You can combine the two by first doing a Carry Forward, then basing the loop and merge off the question where you used Carry Forward. You can also use Carry Forward on questions within the loop.
You can dynamically control the loop by using a combination of JavaScript to set embedded data variables and display logic within the loop.

Leave a Reply