Making a block assessable from TOC only after its prerequisite blocks have been already completed | XM Community
Question

Making a block assessable from TOC only after its prerequisite blocks have been already completed

• 14 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

My survey consists of several blocks which must be completed in a certain order. For example, Block-3 is a prerequisite for Block-4 and Block-1 is a prerequisite for Block-3.
I want to add a TOC with all blocks listed at the beginning of survey. However, I want a block to become assessable from TOC only after its prerequisite blocks have been already completed . For example, Block-4 will become assessable from TOC only after both Block-1 and Block-3 have been completed.
By "already completed" I mean that, in prerequisite blocks, all questions with "force response" designation must be completed.
Effectively, I want to prevent a respondent skipping unanswered questions/blocks forward with help of TOC , but will allow jumping backwards.
In other words, I want to use TOC as a list of global anchors

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I don't have any suggestions, but I'm curious to see what your experience (and others') with the TOC feature has been so far. When my organization migrated to Qualtrics a few years ago, I tried to use the TOC in several projects where I successfully used a similar feature in our previous platform, but I found it to be incompatible with other features that were required for the projects, like response summaries. In addition, it seemed to allow required questions to be skipped and submitted surveys prematurely under certain conditions, which we could not live with so we abandoned the TOC.
I was able to connect with support and even some members of the engineering team, and their message was that the TOC was a pretty low priority on the product roadmap so the problems I found were unlikely to be addressed. As a result, I haven't tried to use the TOC since. I know your case isn't the same as mine, but if my experience is any indication the TOC might be limited in how it can address your requirements above.

Userlevel 3
Badge

If what I asked for is not easily implementable , TOC is useless to me and even harmful as it is. It would just add confusion to my project

Userlevel 6
Badge +37

In my opinion, Table of Content objective is to give the respondent the option to choose himself the bloc order...

Not sure it is suitable with your needs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Alex_WLU I doubt it will be possible to make the block inaccesible, but you could look at hiding the questions based on the display logic

is displayed
Suppose your Block A has question 1,2 and 3. and Block B has 4,5, and 6.
You could add another question 7 at the beginning of Block B, separated from the other questions by page break.
Now use display logic to only show this question if questions 1,2 and 3 have not been displayed.
To avoid showing questions 4,5 and 6, you could also add skip logic, to skip to the end of the block from question 7, or use display logic to show the rest of the questions only when 1,2 and 3 have been displayed.

Leave a Reply