Math Operations & Embedded Data | XM Community
Solved

Math Operations & Embedded Data

• 3 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
I am a new user and trying to understand how to use Math Ops and Embedded Data to create a derived variable within a survey.

I have a Side by Side Question with 3 Statements and 2 Columns; "Importance" and "Competency".

The "Importance" Column Answers and their scored values are:
- Less Important = 1
- Important = 2
- Critical = 3

The "Competency" Column Answers and their scored values are:
- Competitive Strength = 1
- Competitive Parity = 2
- Competitive Weakness = 3

For each statement, I would like to multiply the scored values for each column and create a new variable called "Priority". I.e., If a statement was evaluated as both Critical and Competitive Weakness, then it's Priority value would be 9 (3 x 3).

I am not sure how to utilized Math Ops, Embedded Data or other Qualtrics features to achieve this.

Scott
icon

Best answer by TomG 3 November 2018, 21:30

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Since the scoring is 1,2,3 for each column and the same for each statement, I would just use recodes to calculate the priorities. So in an embedded data block in your survey flow (replace with correct QID):
```
statement1_priority = $e{ q://QID1%231/SelectedAnswerRecode/1 * q://QID1%232/SelectedAnswerRecode/1 }
statement2_priority = $e{ q://QID1%231/SelectedAnswerRecode/2 * q://QID1%232/SelectedAnswerRecode/2 }
statement3_priority = $e{ q://QID1%231/SelectedAnswerRecode/3 * q://QID1%232/SelectedAnswerRecode/3 }
```
Userlevel 1
Thank you TomG ... I think I got it working!

Leave a Reply