Math Operations & Embedded Data | XM Community
Skip to main content
I am a new user and trying to understand how to use Math Ops and Embedded Data to create a derived variable within a survey.

I have a Side by Side Question with 3 Statements and 2 Columns; "Importance" and "Competency".

The "Importance" Column Answers and their scored values are:

- Less Important = 1

- Important = 2

- Critical = 3

The "Competency" Column Answers and their scored values are:

- Competitive Strength = 1

- Competitive Parity = 2

- Competitive Weakness = 3

For each statement, I would like to multiply the scored values for each column and create a new variable called "Priority". I.e., If a statement was evaluated as both Critical and Competitive Weakness, then it's Priority value would be 9 (3 x 3).

I am not sure how to utilized Math Ops, Embedded Data or other Qualtrics features to achieve this.

Scott
Since the scoring is 1,2,3 for each column and the same for each statement, I would just use recodes to calculate the priorities. So in an embedded data block in your survey flow (replace with correct QID):

```

statement1_priority = $e{ q://QID1%231/SelectedAnswerRecode/1 * q://QID1%232/SelectedAnswerRecode/1 }

statement2_priority = $e{ q://QID1%231/SelectedAnswerRecode/2 * q://QID1%232/SelectedAnswerRecode/2 }

statement3_priority = $e{ q://QID1%231/SelectedAnswerRecode/3 * q://QID1%232/SelectedAnswerRecode/3 }

```
Thank you TomG ... I think I got it working!

Leave a Reply