Multiple traceable surveys to individuals | XM Community
Solved

Multiple traceable surveys to individuals

• 2 October 2019
  • 8 replies

Hi, Please bear with me as VERY new to Qualtrics. The tool seems to be set up to be responder focused but I can't see how to ask questions in an item focused way. It's probably best to explain by example:

I can send Bob a survey and he completes it. I can do the same to Jill and Ben and I get 3 responses. I can do this all with Personal Links and automatically track completion.

What do I do if I want to ask questions around an item when individuals might be responsible for multiple items but I want to use Personal Links to enable me to automatically trace who's answered?
E.g. Bob might be responsible for sales in UK and France, Jill for Italy, Portugal and Spain, and Ben Germany. How do I send 2 identical surveys to Bob, 3 to Jill and 1 to Ben, each tagged and traceable back to the item (country) in question and the responder, and get an automated record of who's completed what?
I can see that I can use anonymous links but then I have to manually track completion.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mark
icon

Best answer by Akdashboard 2 October 2019, 16:11

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @MarkWhite -

This is pretty easy. I can explain how to do it with the back-end data setup, but the EASIER way would be to ask Bob, Jill, and Ben which "survey" they are answering for (i.e. add a question with with UK, France, Italy, Portugal and Spain as answer choices). This will tag that response appropriately and can track completion based on selected choice.

This process is much easier for newbies than the back-end data setup.
Many thanks, much appreciated.
Can you outline the "back-end" solution too. I can have a read and perhaps keep in my back pocket 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@MarkWhite - Sure, basically you are creating a unique URL as the thing you are tracking (UK, France, etc.) instead of the person taking the survey (Bob, Jill, etc.). You just need to make the tracked group the "ExternalDataReference" of your mailing list. Then you have a link for UK and France and Italy and (yadda yadda) that you can distribute to whomever.

It isn't all that difficult, but it is extra work that the added question can solve for much more easily.
Many thanks, so looking at doing this the only way we can see to generate multiple links for each person is to assign them fake email addresses, because if you give them their real email addresses they get conflated to 1 link per person. Is that right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Yes, you wouldn't be able to populate, say Ben's email, for more than 1 record in hopes he'd get all the emails. Qualtrics will only send 1 invite email, even when the email exists in the mailing list more than once (this is to prevent spamming and keep their domain strong against firewalls).

Your best option is go the question method. Now you can apply display logic so that each person only sees options applicable to them, if that is a better experience. For example, if Ben is only meant to see UK and France, then you can use display logic for both UK and France that looks like "IF email is EQUAL TO {Ben's email} THEN display. "
Many thanks for your help, its very much appreciated.

It's not so much a "question" question; all questions apply to all responders, its just that we need each responder to respond for the areas they are responsible for.
So in the example mentioned Ben needs to answer the survey twice, once each for UK and France,; Jill 3 times, etc.

So we need the email out to either:
* Go to Ben twice - take your point re spam but I assume not an issue here as Qualtrics know who I am and can always revoke me
* include 2 links, 1 for a survey to UK, 1 for France - solves the spam point

Any ideas on how to do that?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@MarkWhite - I think you are thinking about the problem from the wrong direction.

Regardless of how you set this up, what you need is a way to track a tracable attribute (country in this case) which is really to say you need a reference data point. It doesn't matter if that data point is generated by seperate URL or a survey "question", in either event, the reference point exists.

I understand that it is easy to think of a survey question as just a question, but in reality it is a data collection mechanism that can be leveraged in numerous ways. One example is tracking the progress of a single response based on the selection of the attributable question (i.e. which country).

With that all said, you CAN still do the other method and then just send Ben and Jill seperate emails with their appropriat number of links. However this process is far more manual and effort intensive.
Many thanks for the help. I think the problem is one of scale. There are hundreds of these, and so too much bespoking will be a lot of work.
I was hoping we could just add Ben to the list twice and using a tweak to make sure I send him 2 links, one to UK, one to France but it sounds like there is no easy way to do that. It does feel like a significant hole in the tool. I'm a new user but it doesnt feel like it addresses this problem 😞

Leave a Reply