Piping Answers Across Surveys. | XM Community
Solved

Piping Answers Across Surveys.

• 12 November 2018
  • 10 replies

Hi all,

I am posting a survey on MTurk which is to be completed in two parts, on two seperate days. It is crucial to the survey that answers from one day can be piped into the same person's stimuli for the next day. Obviously, we don't want to ask people to write down their answers. Is there a way to tag a respondent in the first survey so that their answers can be piped into a later survey? Currently, I plan on providing a random four-digit ID to the respondent, which they will then use to sign in to the second survey.

Unfortunately (for me), I have never used Java script, though I could learn for this specific task.
Thank you for any help.
icon

Best answer by MohammedAli_Rajapkar 12 November 2018, 21:15

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
@mame, this is me just brainstorming, but I"m wondering if its possible to make your survey one survey with a branch for the second part that doesn't allow access until after X date is past?

This would mean you'd have two branches in your survey under an Embedded Data field with currentDate as the ED field. They would branch to the first block/set/group of questions if the date range falls within X parameters and branch to the second set of questions if it falls within Z parameter. This would allow you basically to apply Display logic to a block and still be able to pipe in responses from the set of questions previously answered.

Here's a screenshot of what I mean. This is a survey a department needed help with. They have seminars once a month, but don't want to do a NEW survey each month since they'd like to have all the data in one data set. The currentDate script is one I actually got help with from someone here in the Community and it works great! 🙂
!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
You could set it up so that after they hit the end of the first branch, they get sent to the end of the survey (EOS). I'd would test that part pretty heavy to ensure that the EOS force doesn't apply when they try to go back in and complete the second part of your survey. I'd think if you set it up to send them to the EOS when they complete the last question in the first block you'd probably do okay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You will have to follow below steps:

- Random number 4 digit generate in the first survey which user should use in order to participate in the second survey

- Create a contact list (through contact list trigger) and consider email id as "XXXX@email.com" (XXXX is 4 digits random number)

- Add all the question response which you want to display in the second survey as embedded data for new contact list

Here is the documentation for contact list trigger: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/contact-list-triggers/

- In the second survey, create an open-end question in which you should ask for the 4 digits random number

- In embedded data, append the 4 digit number with "@email.com" and pass it to the Authenticator

- The Authenticator should authenticate it with the contact list which we created from the first survey through contact list trigger.

- https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/advanced-elements/authenticator/authenticator-overview/

- Prefill the authenticator with the embedded data which hold the 4 digits random number which appended with "@email.com"

- Within the Authenticator define the embedded data from the contact list on which we are authenticating it

- Then use the embedded data to piped-text wherever needed.
I apologize for the mess, but will this work?

!
!
How will I know in my data that the person who completed the survey in one time is the same as the person who completed it later? The responses are to be anonymous, but I need a way to connect them in analysis.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
With the random unique 4 digit number (which you give them in the first survey, you should store it as an embedded data in the first survey and in the second survey they are providing it in the first question of the second survey).
I can't expect people to remember their 4 digit number over 3 days. The study is being done on MTurk however, so is it possible to use their workerId (appending @email.com) to the end?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes, you can use "workerId" as well
Having them input the ID?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes

Leave a Reply