Piping text based on ranking question | XM Community
Skip to main content
I did some searching and couldn't find my exact question, but I suspect that this may have been answered before, so apologies if this is a repeat.

I have two questions in my survey that I'd like to ask about. The first is a "Pick, Group, and Rank" question where people get a list of software features and have to categorize their familiarity level from "never heard of it" to "I have used this". In the next question, I'd like to include a list of just the items the respondent has used before in the question text for reference. This seems straightforward, but I don't see a way to do it through the GUI: the "piped text" tab just lets me pick items to show regardless of response at the previous question, or I can show the rank/group assigned to any specific feature, but I don't see a way to set conditions on which items to show based on the response.

Is there a way to do this in the GUI? If not, can I approach it in Javascript and how? (I should note that I don't know Javascript.)

Thanks!
Instead of using piped text, what you want to do in the second question, is create a line for each of items listed in the first question, then create display logic for each line. You can say, only show it if it was ranked 1 or 2, etc....
Thanks! I may be missing something here, but the "Add Display Logic" seems to apply to the whole question, not just specific lines of text within the question. Is there a way in the GUI to make that display logic only apply to a specific line of text within the question?

Yes, you can add display logic for the whole question, but you can also add it for individual lines.
To add display logic to a specific line, add the line then right click and Add Display Logic will be in that menu.

Hi,
This question looks very similar to a problem I have and I could use the solution proposed but I might be confronted to another issue while doing that.
My participants are also ranking different elements from 1 to 7.
But I want only ONE of my elements to be displayed if this elements is>5, should I use Pipped Text if more than one elements could be>5 ?

For exemple. One participant ranked A, C and E>5.
But I just want the participant to be randomly assigned A,C or E so only one of these three option is displayed for the rest of the survey.
Thanks.

Leave a Reply