priority pick in Randomization | XM Community
Question

priority pick in Randomization

• 26 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hello!
Supposed that I have a multiple answer question and carry over their selected answers in the next question. Among these choices, we must pick 5 categories at maximum. however, if one specific choice was selected it must always be selected then pick 4 random choices.
Is there a way I could achieve this using qualtrics feature or Javascript?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +37

Hi Elaine,

If you want to use qualtrics logic and keep it simple, you can manage your categories with a variable, a randomizer and some conditions.

First, you have your multiple choices question like :
image.png
For every possible choice, you have a block with your set of questions.
In your survey flow, just initiate a new embedded data to be able to limit your random blocks below.
image.png
Then add your conditions :
image.pngAs you can see, the randomizer will loop over every condition, but when your counter wil reach your maximum, no more conditionnal block will be displayed.

Badge

Hi Elie! It is my understanding that the randomizer does not take into account any display logic in the branches that follow. For example, if the branch for 1 is chosen by the randomizer but then not displayed to the respondent because 1 was not selected in the initial question, the randomizer will nevertheless count that as one of the three randomized elements (despite the respondents not actually seeing the question). Is that not your experience? I run into this situation frequently and would love some additional insight. Thanks in advance! -Jenn

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/53086#Comment_53086That is NOT the case. If a branch condition is false, the branch is not chosen by the randomizer.

Badge

Thanks so much for the quick reply, Tom! In a survey I am testing right now, there are blocks with one question each in the randomizer and the display logic is set at the question level. This currently isn't working as intended, but I will try pulling the display logic out in a branch instead.

Leave a Reply