Question at a random position within a range | XM Community
Solved

Question at a random position within a range

• 5 October 2018
  • 5 replies

I have two groups of questions. Group 1 contains 28 questions and group 2 has 2 questions.

I would like the first question in group 2 to appear among the first 5 questions of the survey (at a random position 1-5). Also, I want the second question from group 2 to appear somewhere between position 6 to the end of the survey. The order for the remaining 28 questions should be random.

I tried to use 2 randomizer: the first one containing 5 questions (first question from group 2 and 4 questions from group 1), and second one containing the remaining questions. But this method has 2 drawbacks: the first 5 questions are always the same for all the participants. (2) the previous button does not appear when transitioning between the two randomizers question.

Any solutions?
Thanks.
icon

Best answer by MohammedAli_Rajapkar 5 October 2018, 22:12

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Best solution is to randomizer all 30 questions.

Back button will not appear if you add in blocks.

Yes the first five questions will always be same if you put randomizer on first five and another on remaining.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi @mojganaz ,
I don't know how this will work with the previous button, but this might work for you otherwise.
You can create 5 identical blocks with the 1 question from set 2 and the 28 questions from set 1. Then in each of those blocks go to "question randomization" and "advanced randomization" and put the 1 question from set 2 into the first (green) box labeled "randomized questions" and all the rest of the questions into the second (blue) box labeled "random subset". Set the second box to randomly insert 4 question. (this should be the same in all 5 blocks)
Next under "fixed display order" change the where the "{randomized}" question appears so that it is in a different location for each of the 5 blocks (i.e. in the first block it will be displayed first, in the second it will be displayed second, etc.).
Then create 28 new blocks each with 1 of the questions from set 1 and another block with question 2 from set 2 (29 blocks total).
Finally, go to the survey flow and create two randomizers. In the first randomizer put the first 5 blocks and set the randomizer to randomly present 1 of those blocks. In the second randomizer create 28 branches and put 1 block (each with 1 question) under each branch (i.e. the first branch will have the block that has question 1 set 1, the second branch will have the block with question 2 set 1, etc.).
Next edit the branch conditions for each question so that the question will only be shown if it was not displayed previously. That is, have it branch if the one of the choices (pick something that will always be displayed with the question) for that question was not displayed in the first block and the second block, and the third block, and the forth block and the fifth block. (I have attached an example of what this would look like). You don't need any branch or condition for question 2 of set 2 since it was never displayed before but still add it under the second randomizer.

!

If done correctly this should do what you are wanting it to do in terms of presenting all the questions randomly with question 1 of set 1 appearing in the first 5 questions and question 2 of set 2 appearing in the remaining portion of the survey.
I hope this helps.
Thank you @mcoverdale. This solves the second problem I had. But I cannot still see the back button when navigating from first randomizer to the second.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi @mojganaz ,
Sorry, I never use the previous button so I don't have any experience with when you can vs. can't see it.
Maybe a potential solution to that problem would be to ask them right before the second randomizer if they would like to go back. If you set up 5 branches, one with each of the first five blocks duplicated into them you can set display logic to show them the block that they viewed if they answer yes.
Whether this solution would work would depend on why they would want/need to go back.
Good luck!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
"Back button" is shown within the same block. This behavior is expected and described in warning presented on https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-options/survey-experience/#AddingABackButton .

However, if you try using "TOC" then you will see back button throughout (from one block to another)

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/advanced-elements/table-of-contents/

However, within TOC you wont be able to use "Randomizer".

Leave a Reply