Randomization | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hello!

I have a question about the randomizer in Qualtrics. We want to create one multiple-choice question with 5 different answers.

We have 4 different pictures which need to be randomized with 4 different texts.

In the end there have to be 5 options to choose, in the multiple-choice. Namely, the 4 pictures (with everytime a different text) and one option 'can't say'.

We think it has to do something with the loop & merge, but we can't figure it out.
Hmm. I need a bit more info:

Are you looking to randomize the text AND the pictures? Like picture A can have text 1, text 2, text 3 and text 4? Or do you mean that you want to randomize the order that Picture A with text 1, Picture B with text 2, etc is presented?
Yes! We would like to do an experiment. With 4 different pictures which need to be randomized among the different texts, like you described in the first sentence.

Then, the respondents should have the ability to choose for example:

Picture 2 with text 1 / Picture 1 with text 2 / picture 3 with text 4 / Picture 4 with text 3 OR none of the answers.

Is this enough information? I hope so!
Gotcha! That sounds like a custom code solution then, and I'm afraid I can't help with that. But we have many talented people here who can likely come up with something!
There's a way to do this with Survey Flow - randomizer and embedded data fields. It's very brute force and hard to explain so I built out your example for you (import the attached file into your Qualtrics account).

You have 16 options to start with (4x4 picture and text combos). From there it is my understanding that you would want to eliminate the picture and text already chosen making the second insert a 3x3 option; the third insert 2x2 option; and finally the last one would be the picture and text not already appearing in any of the other choices. The logic in the program is set up to do that.

It's almost all built out of you, but you have to finish the translating the choiceX=## where the first number 1-4 represents the picture and the second 1-4 represents the text. There's an example flow set up. You will have URLs (either from the web or your graphics library for the 16 possible picture and text combinations). You just need to update the scr= with that URL and you can leave the rest of the code in there. I've set up the logic for picture 1 with all four text combos. It's up to you to duplicate this for pictures 2, 3, and 4.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions.

Leave a Reply