Randomization- showing a subset of questions w/o repetition before + after a randomized block | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hi all,

We are trying to randomly display a subset of 6/12 multiple choice (MC) questions before a block of text [which is also randomized so that it randomly displays 1 of 5 texts to users] and after the block of text, we want to display in a random order the _other_ 6/12 MC questions that were not shown before the text block. However, we have other questions that come after the text block and before the second subset of 6/12 MC questions. The format of the survey should look like this:

Randomly display 6/12 MC questions in a random order

[page break]

Randomly display a subset of 1/5 texts evenly across participants (this item has timing)

[page break]

Question A

[page break]

Question B

--> display logic Question C

[page break]

Randomly display the other 6/12 MC questions in a random order, so that no two questions are shown twice

We tried putting all of this into one block and inserting advanced randomization (see picture below), however we could not get the page breaks in the appropriate places using this method. Does anyone have any advice so that we can ensure that no question out of the 12 multiple choice questions is repeated, i.e., no question that is shown before the texts is also shown after the texts?

!

Thanks!
Copy your block of 12 questions, then in the copy (at the end of the survey), you can add "If not displayed" display logic to each question based on the 1st/original version of the question.
Hi @TomG, I agree that does make sense. However, when I tried to do this initially, it applies this logic to the answer choice that is selected. Should I go through and apply it to each of the 4 answer choices (the answer choices are chromatin, chromosomes, nucleosomes, cytoplasm)? (see picture) !
> @morgan_me_23 said:

> Hi @TomG, I agree that does make sense. However, when I tried to do this initially, it applies this logic to the answer choice that is selected. Should I go through and apply it to each of the 4 answer choices (the answer choices are chromatin, chromosomes, nucleosomes, cytoplasm)?

You only need to apply the logic to one answer choice that you know is always displayed if the question is displayed.

Leave a Reply