Randomizing graphics in a survey | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hello,

Perhaps this is a very simple question, but I can't figure out how to do it with the survey I'm working on for my master's thesis. In the survey, participants can select a color and a brand they like from a dropdown list. After this selection, I would like to randomly display 10 out of the 30 graphics that I uploaded into my library, with only one corresponding to the answers they selected. For instance, when chosen the color 'red' and brand 'Coca Cola', the next screen should randomly display 10 of the 30 images, with one of those being the picture for 'Coca Cola + red'. I've tried using display logic per image, but then only the corresponding picture is displayed without the other 9 random images.

Anybody that could help me out with this?
Have you explored advanced randomization?

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/block-options/question-randomization/#AdvancedRandomization

I would create 1 block that has all the images. Use display logic so that if the selections are Red and Coca Cola, then Display Block 1. Move to the block itself, and then use advanced randomization to show show only these images from the block.

Move to the next set. Display logic If the selection is Pepsi and Blue then show Block1COPY. Move to block: show these only _these_ images from the block.
> @Kate said:

> Have you explored advanced randomization?

> https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/block-options/question-randomization/#AdvancedRandomization

>

> I would create 1 block that has all the images. Use display logic so that if the selections are Red and Coca Cola, then Display Block 1. Move to the block itself, and then use advanced randomization to show show only these images from the block.

>

> Move to the next set. Display logic If the selection is Pepsi and Blue then show Block1COPY. Move to block: show these only _these_ images from the block.

Thanks for your help and suggestions! I already tried achieving this by using choice randomization, but when I use the option "Present only 10 of total choices" it seems to overrule the display logic. It then randomly presents 10 out of my 30 images, without (always) showing the picture of choice. I will definitely look further into the advanced randomization option.
@joriswashere The advanced should help, because you can force the others to NOT display. That way only the images of choice display.

Make sure you're doing display logic at the survey flow level, using survey flow. Not the block level. That could be causing some of your trouble as well.

Leave a Reply