Selecting questions from multiple blocks randomly | XM Community
Question

Selecting questions from multiple blocks randomly

• 17 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, I’m totally new to qualtrics and a bit baffled. I’m running a survey in which there are 10 blocks of 7 questions in a likert single answer matrix table. The scale is the same for all questions (never to always), but each block is on a different topic. What I’m wondering is, is there a way to make it so that qualtrics chooses 7 random questions from the entire survey and puts them together in one matrix table, and does this for all of the questions? Essentially what I want to achieve is to still have 10 tables of 7 questions, so one table per page, but I want those 7 questions to be randomly picked from different blocks, rather than organised by topic. Is this possible? Thanks in advance!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Not possible.
The closest you can come to this is to store all your 70 questions in an array and change the text of your matrix choices by randomly drawing from them. If you take this route, you'll need to store the displayed questions as embedded variables, since Qualtrics will just show you the placeholder text you had entered. This would also serve as a mechanism to update your array for avoiding the questions you have already displayed.

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/34630#Comment_34630so if I understand correctly, I would have to do the randomising myself when creating the tables, in which case all participants would see the questions in the same randomised order, is that right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

That's one way to go about it.
The other option would be to create tables with placeholder texts and use JS to insert your questions. This would be more random. See this discussion, I think its close to what you are looking for.

Leave a Reply