Three validation tries | XM Community
Solved

Three validation tries

• 13 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,
I am designing a quiz on Qualtrics in which my students will answer one question at a time. The answer is always a number (text entry) from 0 to 100. I would like to give them 3 tries. If they answer the question correctly in any of these 3 tries, they get one point and move to the next question. If they do not answer the question correctly in any of the 3 tries, they do not get any point but move anyways to the next question.
I have two questions on how to implement this:

• How can I design a validation check that gives them 3 tries and that sends them to the next screen as soon as 1) they answer correctly OR 2) they fail the 3 tries? (I found this related link, but unfortunately I do not know how to apply it to my case: https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/17110#Comment_17110)

• How can I tell a Counter variable that it should increase by one if the student's answer was correct, but not do so if the answer was incorrect?

I am quite new to Qualtrics, so please do not assume I know much. Any help is really appreciated.
Thank you!

icon

Best answer by ahmedA 13 January 2021, 18:48

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Please see if you are looking for something like this demo.
You can find the code and the implementation details here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sorry, I missed that. But I'm happy that you've figured it out. Give the students an easy test, that should be thanks enough 😊.

That was it ahmedA, your code works perfectly! This will also be helpful for other posts in which I've seen people asking similar questions. I cannot thank you enough!!!
I also found a way to introduce a counter variable in your code, so your code with the following slight modification answers my question perfectly. Thanks a lot again!
if (given_answer == desired_answer) {
that.clickNextButton();
btn.disable();
el.disable();
var practicejava = "${e://Field/practice_count}";
var practicejava1=parseInt(practicejava, 10);
var practicejava1 = practicejava1+1;
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData('practice_count', practicejava1)

Leave a Reply