Using display logic and custom validation for the same question | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hello,

I am preparing the Qualtrics app to be used by interviewers who will be visiting study participants at their home.

The survey starts with a list of items formatted as a multiple choice, multiple answer type question that the interviewer needs to bring with them to be able to complete all of the elements needed for a particular participant. As the interviewer collects the various items in preparation to go to the door, they can mark off that they have them. However, because there are different things the interviewer needs to bring with them to the door depending on the elements the participant needs to complete, I have added some display logic based on data in the contact list. For instance, for those only needing the baseline element, the interviewer only needs 4 out of 8 items. For those respondents, only the 4 items are shown in the list.

I prepared a custom validation for the item so that it won't let the interviewer proceed unless they have marked each of the items. I programmed this to be a forced response and included in the validation all 8 of the items that the interviewer would need to bring to the door for someone who needed all three of the study elements. This works as expected as long as the respondent needs all three of the study elements. On the other hand, if the respondent only needs the baseline element, the interviewer is presented with the 4 items needed for that participant but the custom validation seems to block the survey from continuing. Even if all 4 of the items are selected, which are the only items shown, the custom validation produces an error and won't let the interview continue even though there are no additional elements in the list that are visible to choose.

So, what I think I need is to be a be able to have a validation that is different depending on the display logic. If only four items appear in the list, the validation should require those four items be selected and nothing else. If 6 items appear in the list, the validation should require those six items be selected and nothing else.

Thanks for any advice.

Best,

Lance
All I can think of is branching. For example, you can create a contact field and mark those who only need the baseline with a word "Baseline", and do branching from the very beginning of the survey. So if "contact field" is "baseline" go to question with 4 items mandatory, etc. But this can get really complicated...
Thanks for the suggestion. I decided not to go with branching but your suggestion made me think of just making three different versions of the question and using display logic on the questions rather than elements of the question.

I still think that it would be much more parsimonious to be able to use display logic at the item level and have the verification operate based on that but I'm sure I underestimate how hard it might be to develop that capability.

Thanks again for your help.

Leave a Reply