Using Multiple Choice for longitudinal surveys | XM Community
Question

Using Multiple Choice for longitudinal surveys

• 3 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to set up my longitudinal survey so that demographic data from one survey is brought into a second survey. This will hopefully save time for the respondent(s). However, in the steps I'm following to set up a longitudinal survey (see link: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/common-use-cases-rc/pulling-data-into-a-second-survey-longitudinal-surveys/) it says that "In order to use Multiple Choice questions instead of Text Entry questions, you will need to use JavaScript. Qualtrics Support cannot advise on custom coding...". A lot of my questions are multiple choice so this is a problem for me.
Has anyone coded this before or does anyone know how to solve this issue? I'm new to Qualtrics so I hope I've explained things sufficiently. Any help would be really appreciated!
Many thanks

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

This depends on the type of data you are requesting from the respondent. If you scroll down in that guide, you can easily set the default choices in the subsequent surveys based on embedded data fields that are set in the contact list described also in the guide. You should not need JS for for just setting the default value, for example, of a respondent's selected country using this method.

The default choices only work in text entry for the subsequent survey. I would like to retain the multiple choice option

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

So, try using the recode values of the multiple choice selections to set the default values for the subsequent survey questions.

For multiple choice questions, the only options for default values are the various choices. There is no ability to use any other values.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I was thinking that you could look at two strategies for accomplishing this. One would be to pass the information via query strings. Since you are already sending the login id as a query parameters, you could also look at sending the MC answers.
Another option could be to store these MC choices in an embedded data, update its value through the contact field and only display the question from the second survey onwards if people want to update their answer. For example, Define an embedded variable gender, which is to be filled via the contact directory. In the first survey, this field will be empty. You use display logic to only show the gender question if the embedded variable gender is empty. So, the question is visible in the first survey, but from the second survey onwards it won't be.

Leave a Reply