Using quota count to assign a value (unique non-Qualtrics link) included in thank you message | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi everyone!
I'm working on a survey where we screen in anonymous participants from Facebook ads. Eligible participants who meet certain criteria are added to a contact list and an action is triggered to automatically send out an invitation to the main survey. During this first action step, I already assign the External Reference IDs using the Screener Survey's Quota Count field (there are two subsamples, one starts sequentially at 30001 and the other at 40001). We're early in the process, but it looks like about 10% of those who are eligible and receive links successfully take the survey all the way through and meet our quality assurance checks to receive a gift card. Each gift card has a unique link and code associated with it and we have to track them by their External Reference IDs. Because we are looking to get 500 valid responses and we're likely to send out 5k invitations, right now I'm manually sending out gift card links to qualifying participants (I have an email trigger set up to notify me when someone meets the criteria).
What I would like to be able to do is automate the process where participants who are eligible are assigned a link which is included in their thank you response. I would like to be able to refer to a separate file that contains the links and codes with a sequential number which matches the quota count on the main survey like I did with the screener. For example, if a participant meets the eligibility criteria and Main Survey quota count equals 1, then the first link and code are included in the thank you and preferably added to the data set and/or the contact list.
I know that there is likely an unruly way for me to create an array of 500 links and codes and use javascript and the quota count to create embedded variables and assign values to eligible participants, and then pipe that data into the email trigger, but I'm worried this is fairly error-proned given the length of the links. Does anyone have a more elegant solution or anything that resembles being able to utilize a separate list/? I already played around with creating a separate contact list of this data, but could find no way to pull data from this additional contact list in the survey flow or actions.
Any advice or descriptions of how other teams have handled this would be appreciated!
Catherine

You could store your links on a spreadsheet (Google Sheets/Excel Online) and based on the quota count, pull the appropriate row. This can be accomplished either via the Actions tab or using webservice in the survey flow. Reading these files is relatively straightforward once you go through the API.
I don't know how reliable Quotas are, because it says that people starting at the same time may get the same number, so just make a note of that.
Writing to these files via Qualtrics appears to be a hit and miss, for some it works, for some it doesn't, so I use GitHub to do that (you can see details here).

Thank you so much! I will look into this.

Leave a Reply