When adding the random number generator to my survey it does not seem to save the piped text. | XM Community
Skip to main content
When following instructions and from the support on how to use the web service random number generator, at the final stage where you enter the piped text I am not able to click off the question field and therefore it does not appear to save this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I have a dissertation to be doing 😢
It would have been helpful if you provided a link to the instructions you were looking at.

You don't need a web service. You can pipe a random number directly into a question or saved as an embedded data field in the survey flow. Example of a random integer between 1 and 20 pipe:

```

${rand://int/1:20}

```
I have never used qualtrics before so really have no idea what I’m doing. I’m trying to assign each respondent of my survey a unique number to serve as their ID.
Random numbers do not guarantee uniqueness. You could do this in embedded data block in the survey flow:

id = ${rand://int/100000:999999}
Thank you I really appreciate your help, is there any way you could walk me through step by step of how to do that? This is the information I was trying before that was not working. https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/common-use-cases-rc/assigning-randomized-ids-to-respondents/
@Stressed_student1 are you aware that Qualtrics assigns each response a unique Response ID. This may serve the purpose of the random number you are trying to generate.

This help page describes it as:

ResponseID

The ResponseID is the ID Qualtrics uses to identify each response in the database. This unique identifier is provided as a reference and generally does not have a use in data analysis.

Leave a Reply