Capture URL | XM Community
Question

Capture URL

• 14 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello!

I’ve created a feedback tab that will appear on all pages of my company’s website.  

Can anyone confirm if the “Current URL” embedded data field  captures the URL a visitor was on when they clicked the feedback tab? The support site says that “Current URL” logs the URL the visitor was on when the intercept appears. I want to associate feedback with the specific URL a visitor is on. Since the feedback tab will appear everywhere, I am not sure it will capture the first page they saw, or the URL the visitor was on when they accessed the feedback tab.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello and good morning from a sunny Sweden! 

If you set “Q_URL” as embedded data and use that in your setup you should capture the full URL link where the response came from. 

All the best

-Mattias

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks @MattiasM

Just to make sure I understand correctly, the steps to capture the URL the respondent was on when they clicked on the feedback tab include:

1. Program “Q_URL” as embedded data into the survey flow
  2. Then in the website feedback project, program “Current URL” as embedded data and name it “Q_URL

Please let me know if this is correct. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello and good morning from a sunny Sweden!

I’m not sure what it looks like when you’re creating the link on your webpage. But in general you would first need to include the Q_URL in the embedded data in the survey. 

Then you specify that in the code on the page so that it would look something like this: 

https://survey.[brand].com/jfe/form/[survey_name]?Q_URL=[code to capture current page]

But exactly what that looks like on your end, I dont know. Test and try, and try again That’s how I end up solving things :)

All the best

-Mattias

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Can’t help with how to set this up, as I didn’t set ours up.  However can confirm once set it up it should be URL of the page survey was started from.  Doesn’t take into account other pages respondent was on.  Our rule was to pop up after 5 minutes, ideally we would attribute it to where they spent most their time. However Qualtrics just records the page where they were when the survey presents itself at our trigger point.  The blurb you taken from support page would be referring to this.  Hope that helps clarifies.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thank you @ScottG 

Leave a Reply